AP Sara Baber Sial
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
H-12, NUST, Islamabad
+92 51 9085 6072
MS (Human Robot Interaction),Middlesex University, London, UK
- Awarded Faculty Development Program scholarship from NUST (Pakistan) for higher studies in the year 2012.
- Group lead of two research groups i.e. Human –Robot Interaction and Cybernetics and Bionics of South Asia’s First state of the art Post-Graduate program lab in Robotics at NUST, Pakistan.
- Reviewer of an international journal of Intelligent Service Robotics (Springer).
- Organized First National Workshop on Robotics Technology for Industrial Development of Pakistan, April 2017.
- Lead Organizer: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Emerging Allied Technologies in Engineering (iCreate), Islamabad 2014.
- Team Lead of various robotic competitions held in Middlesex, London e.g. Mayors Challenge.
- Author of International Publications in International Journals and International Conferences.
- Member of IEEE RAS chapter.
- Industrial Liaison Officer: appointed as ILO for representing the whole department.
- Designed the Lab outline/experiments for Mechanical Vibrations, Hydraulic and pneumatic machine.
- Professional trainings include: NAO robots, FMS robotic arm, LPKF machine training, Training Workshop on Hydraulic, electro- Hydraulic, Pneumatic and basic electro- Pneumatic Equipment FESTO, Hands on Workshop on "How to use and program Super Computers".
- Lead Organizer of UK’s famous competition World Skills 2012.
- Judge of Finding Innovative & Creative Solutions for Society (FICS) at NUST
- PEC Professional Engineer (P.E.)
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (Professional)
AREA OF INTEREST:
Human-Robot Interaction, Human-Computer Interaction, Control Theoretic applications in Robotics, Electrical/Bio-medical aspect of Cybernetics and Bionics.
- Reviewer (Journals) Intelligent Service Robotics (Springer).
- Member of IEEE Robotics and Automation Society.
- Industrial Liaison Officer of school of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, NUST
- Professional instructor for short courses on Hydraulics and Pneumatics (FESTO), Lego Mindstorm kits.
PROFESSIONAL AWARDS / SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Awarded Faculty development Program, a fully funded scholarship for higher studies by National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan, Sep 2013.
- Sponsorships won as a guest speaker at International Conference on Mechatronics, Automation & Smart Materials, 2017.
- Won 2nd position in national level competition COMPEC, held at the College of E&ME, Rawalpindi, Pakistan in 2010.
- Awarded NUST Merit scholarships throughout for undergraduate (B.Sc Engg) studies at the College of E&ME, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- Sponsorships won for presenting research papers at International Conferences (held in various countries) during studies as well as at NUST, Pakistan.
Completed Research Projects
- Communicating simulated emotional states of Robot by Expressive movements: Oct 2012-Nov 2013, Funded by NUST, Pakistan (Completed ahead of time)
- Autonomous Navigation and Obstacle avoidance on P3-AT Robots
Supervised Research Projects
- Building up a platform for robot’s perception about humans for interaction (Master’s Thesis)
- Collaborative Physical Play Between a Socially Assistive Humanoid Robot and Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Master’s Thesis)
- Human robot interaction by expressive movements and gestures using a bipedal humanoid kit without face (Bachelors Thesis)
- Measuring the kick dynamics of an Autistic patient by Sensor Integration using Mayo, EEG and Kinect for data acquisition (Bachelors Thesis)
- Football- a collaborative play designed for adaptive behavior of NAO using ABA interventions for Autism (Master’s Thesis)
- An Intelligent Hand Recognition System (Master’s Thesis)
- Grasping of an object using prosthetic hand implanted with tactile pressure sensors (Master’s Thesis).
ISI Thomson Reuters Indexed Journal Publications
- Hamza Asif, Zaid Ahsan Shah, Yasar Ayaz, Naveed Muhammad, Sara Baber Sial, Khalid Akhtar, “Proximal Actuation of an Elastically Loaded Scissors Mechanism for the Leg Design of a Quadruped Robot”, Mechanism and Machine Theory, Elsevier, 2017, (Accepted).
- Sara Baber Sial, Muhammad Baber Sial, Yasar Ayaz, Syed Irtiza Ali Shah and Aleksandar Zivanovic, “Interaction of robot with humans by communicating simulated emotional states through expressive movements”, Intelligent Service Robots, Springer, Vol 9, Issue 3, pp. 231-255, July 2016.
International Book Chapters and Monographs
- Saima Tariq, Sara Baber, Asbah Ashfaq, Yasar Ayaz , Muhammad Naveed and Saba Mohsin, “Interactive Therapy Approach Through Collaborative Physical Play Between a Socially Assistive Humanoid Robot and Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder”, Social Robotics, Volume 9979 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, pp. 561-570, October 2016. ISBN: 978-3-319-47436-6.
- Sara Baber Sial, “Communicating Simulated Emotional States of Robots by Expressive Movements” Master’s thesis, Middlesex University, London, UK.
International Conference Papers (Full Paper Peer Reviewed)
- Sara Baber Sial, Husnain Ahmad, Osama Farooq, Muhammad Naveed and Yasar Ayaz, Oizzu: A Bipedal Humanoid Robot Development Kit, International Conference on Innovation in Artificial Intelligence 2017.
- Sara Baber Sial, Alex Zivanovic on “Communicating Simulated Emotional States of Robots by Expressive Movements”, International Conference on Social Robotics 2013.
- Umer Rasheed, Sara Ali, Mariam Ahmed, Jamal Afridi on “Generic Vision Based Algorithm for Driving Space Detection in Diverse Indoor and Outdoor Environments”, International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation 2010
International Papers/Journals (Under Submission)
- "APOLLO: A Multi-Modal Framework for a Socially Evocative Robotic System Based on Human-Human Interaction", International Journal of Social Robotics.
- Husnain Ahmad, Sara Baber Sial, Yasar Ayaz, Muhammad Naveed, Mannan Saeed Muhammad,"Multi-Modal Approach to Emotion Classification for a Socially Intelligent Robotic System Based on Human-Human Interaction", International Journal of Social Robotics.
TALKS (CONFERENCE / WORKSHOPS):
- “Oizzu: A Bipedal Humanoid Robot Development Kit”, 9th International Conference on Innovation in Artificial Intelligence 2017.
- Guest lecture on “Human-Robot Interaction”, SMME, NUST, Sector H-12, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Department of Robotics & Artificial Intelligence, SMME, NUST, Sector H-12, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Assistant Professor June 2016 – Present Department of Robotics & Artificial Intelligence, SMME, NUST, Sector H-12, Islamabad, Pakistan.Lecturer Jan 2014 – June 2016
- Middlesex University London UK Teaching Assistant Dec 2012-Mar 2013
- Department of Robotics & Artificial Intelligence, SMME, NUST, Sector H-12, Islamabad, Pakistan. Teaching Assistant Aug 2011–Sep 2012
- School of Science and Engineering, Lahore University of Management Sciences, Pakistan. Teaching Assistant Sep 2010-Aug 2011
- Alcatel Pakistan Limited, Islamabad, Pakistan. Internee Engineer June – July 2009
- Attock Oil Refinery, Rawalpindi, Pakistan. Internee Engineer May – July 2008