Dr Zaib Ali
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
PhD (Engineering), University of Cambridge, UK
University of Cambridge, UK, 2016
PhD Thesis: Optimal Block Topology Generation for CFD Meshing.
- Development of novel 3D domain decomposition
methods for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) mesh generation, using the
medial axis transform and the level sets/distance field.
- Assessment of various automatic block
topology generation methods using the adjoint based error analysis.
Mundus Master of Science in Computational Mechanics, 2009
Swansea University, UK,
Ecole Centrale de Nantes, France
Bachelors, Mechanical Engineering, NUST,
- Cambridge Trusts-HEC award for PhD
studies at the University of Cambridge, UK.
- Rolls Royce research grant of £15,000
for developing novel CFD mesh generation methods.
- Erasmus Mundus Masters scholarship
awarded by European Union for Masters studies.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Mesh Generation
- Engineering Optimzation
Journal Publications as Leading Author:
- Ali. Z, Dhanasekaran. C, Tucker. P. G, Watson. R. and Shahpar, S. 2017. Optimal multi-block mesh generation for CFD. 2017. International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics. Vol. 31 , Iss. 4-5. Taylor and Francis.
- Ali, Z., Tucker, P.G. and Shahpar, S., 2016. Optimal mesh topology generation for CFD. Journal of Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 317 (2017): 431-457.
- Wackers, J., Ali, Z., Queutey, P. and Visonneau, M., 2009. Adaptive Grid Refinement for Hydrodynamic Flow Simulation. Ship Technology Research, 56(4), pp.154-160.
- Wackers, J., Visonneau, M. and Ali, Z., 2010. Automatic grid adaptation for unstructured finite volumes. International Journal of Engineering Systems Modelling and Simulation, 2(1-2), pp.2-11.
International Conference Publications as Leading Author:
- Ali. Z, Dhanasekaran. C, Tucker. P. G, Watson. R. and Shahpar, S. 2017. Optimal multi-block mesh generation for CFD. AIAA SciTech, 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 9-13 January 2017, Gaylord Texan, Grapevine, Texas, USA.
- Ali, Z., Tyacke, J., Tucker, P.G. and Shahpar, S., 2016. Block topology generation for structured multi-block meshing with hierarchical geometry handling. Procedia Engineering, 163, pp.212-224.
- Ali, Z. and Tucker, P.G., 2014. Multiblock structured mesh generation for turbomachinery flows. In Proceedings of the 22nd International Meshing Roundtable (pp. 165-182). Springer International Publishing.
- Page, J.H., Watson, R., Ali, Z., Tucker, P.G. and Hield, P., 2015. Advances of Turbomachinery Design Optimization. 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA SciTech Forum, (AIAA 2015-0629) Kissimmee, Florida, USA.
- Wackers, J., Ali, Z., Queutey, P. and Visonneau, M., 2009. Adaptive grid refinement for hydrodynamic flow simulation. 8th International Conference on computer and IT applications in the maritime industries, Budapest, Hungary.
Post Graduate (PG)
of Engineering Systems
Under Graduate (UG)
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)