NUST's School of Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science (SEECS) is organizing two days
hands-on workshop on "Parallel Computing using Java". The emergence
of multicore processors, prevalent in modern systems including
laptops, has brought parallel computing into the limelight because
the only viable option to speedup software applications is to exploit
concurrency offered by these processors. The main objective of this
workshop is to introduce parallel programming in Java using the MPJ
software, which has an active user community including researchers
and top international research organizations. MPJ Express has been
developed and maintained as an open-source library at NUST. The
workshop shall be conducted by Dr Aamir Shafi (http://hpc.seecs.nust.edu.pk/~aamir) who is the main developer/architect of the software.
Following topics will be covered:
- Introduction to Parallel Computing (also called High Performance Computing)
- Categorization of Parallel Hardware
- Shared Memory Systems including multicore processors
- Distributed Memory Systems including compute clusters
- Approaches to writing Parallel Software
- The Message Passing Interface (MPI) Standard
- MPJ Express Basics
- MPJ Express Advanced Topics
- Running MPJ Express on laptops and compute clusters
- Parallel Programming Tasks using MPJ Express
Important Dates: 19th & 20th August, 2014 Timing: 10 am to 4 pm
Who Should attend?
IT Managers, IT Personnel, Software Developers,
Researchers from commercial and academic institutes, Faculty and
Students. All participants are expected to bring their own laptops
running Windows or Linux.
Professionals: Rs. 6,000
NUST Employee/Alumni: Rs. 3,000
Students: Rs. 2,000
Last Registration Date:
Limited seats are available.
All participants are required to submit the registration form & fee
by 15th August, 2014. For registration visit our website www.seecs.nust.edu.pk.
Mode of Payment
Payment is to be made through
online/cash deposit or transfer to HBL Account No: 2292 7000074501
titled “SEECS Consultancy Fund A/C” or through Bank Draft/Crossed
Cheque in favor of “NUST-SEECS Consultancy A/C”. On spot cash payment
will not be entertained.