Dr. Nasir Mehmood Ahmad
Materials Engineering Department
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
Radical and Controlled Radical Polymerization; Polymerization reactor technology; Modeling and simulation in polymerization; Micropolymerization reactions; Antifouling Polymer membranes for water treatment, Plastic master batches; Anti-corrosion Coatings
(1995-1999) Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.): Polymer Science and Technology School of Materials, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK (1989-1992) M.Sc.: Advanced Physical Chemistry. University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
Dr. Nasir Ahmad has over 20-years extensive international experiences both in academia: Manchester University, McGill University; NUST; and industries: ICI (UK); Polychem (Canada); TechBlend (Canada); Celanese (Canada) in the R & D of advanced polymeric materials, polymer membranes, testing/characterization of polymers, plastic films, resins, master batches, coatings, polymerization reactor processes and plastic processing. Dr. Ahmad also carried out projects in industrial collaboration such as British Petroleum (UK), AkzoNobel/International Paints (UK), Escher-Grad Technologies (Canada), BASF (Germany) and Dow (USA). A demonstrated technical leader with outstanding analytical and problem solving skills sought out to resolve major customer line issues and educate personnel in a time efficient manner. He has been involved in studies, which include polymerization of acrylate, ethylene, and vinyl acetate monomers to manufacture primary resins, extrude plastic films and develop master batches. Dr. Ahmad also has published extensively, project management and working with different role in academia and industry. Dr. Ahmad has acquired several research grants, supervised many students and research projects as principal investigator
1. Hira Faitama,, Nosheen Faitma, Muhammad N. Anwar, Naveed Ahmed, Shahzad Naseem, Sadia Manzoor, Nasir M. Ahmad, CoFe2O4 Magnetic Nanospheres and Nanorods for Ultrasensitive Molecular Imaging, Journal of Nanomaterials (accepted).
2. Michele K. Lima-Tenório, Edgardo A. Gómez Pineda, Nasir M. Ahmad, Geraldine Agusti, Sadia Manzoor, Dounia Kabbaj, Hatem Fessi, Abdelhamid Elaissari, Aminodextran Polymer-Functionalized Reactive Magnetic Emulsions for Potential Theranostic Applications, Colloids and Surface B (Accepted).
3. Naveed Ahmed, Nasir M. Ahmad, Hatem Fessi, Abdelhamid Elaissari, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, In vitro MRI of biodegradable hybrid (iron oxide/polycaprolactone) magnetic nanoparticles prepared via modified double emulsion evaporation mechanism,. Vol. 130, Pages 264–271, 2015
4. Michele K. Lima-Tenórioa, Edgardo A. Gómez Pineda, Nasir M. Ahmad, Hatem Fessi, Abdelhamid Elaissari, Magnetic nanoparticles: In vivo cancer diagnosis and therapy, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Vol. 493 Pages313–327, 2015.
5. Aneela Sabir Atif Islam , Muhammad Shafiq, Amir Shafeeq, Muhammad Taqi Zahid Butt, Nasir M. Ahmad , Khairuddin Sanaullah, Tahir Jamil, Novel polymer matrix composite membrane doped with fumed silica particles for reverse osmosis desalination, Desalination Vol. 368, Pages 159–170, 2015.
6. Haseeb Sheikh, Moshin Hassan, *Ahmad, Nasir M., Stimuli-responsive self-assembled multilayer azo thin films: Photo-switchable absorbance and morphological characteristics. Photonics and Nanostructures Fundamentals and Applications, 2014, 12, 34–44.
7. Chaudhary O. Javed, *Ahmad, Nasir M., Photo-Switchable Azobenzene-Functionalized Block Copolymers from Atom Transfer Radical Polymerizations, Polymer Science B, 2014, Vol. 56, 207 215.
8. Muhammed A. Hassan, M. Saqib, *Ahmad, Nasir M., Abdelhamid Elaissari, Magnetically Engineering Smart Thin Films: Towards Ultra Sensitive Molecular Imaging for Lab on Chip. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, 2013, Vol. 17, 467 474.
9. Abrar Arshad, Adeel Ahsan, Arslan Aziz, Omair Ali, *Ahmad, Nasir M., Abdelhamid Elaissari, Biothin Films Fabrication of Magnetic Colloids, Journal of Colloids and Biotechnology, 2013, Vol. 2, 19 26.
10. Nadia Naseer, Hira Fatima, Arfa Asghar, Nosheen Fatima, Naveed Ahmed, Asad U. Khan, and *Ahmad, Nasir M., Magnetically Responsive Hybrid Polymer Colloids for Ultrasensitive Molecular Imaging, Journal of Colloid Science and Biotechnology, 2014, Vol. 3, 19–29.
MEMBER EDITORIAL BOARD: Journal of Colloidal Science and Biotechnology, American Scientific Publisher, USA.
GUEST EDITOR: Journal of Colloidal Science and Biotechnology; Issue Dec. 2014.
SELECTIVE LEADERSHIP ACHIEVEMENTS/CONTRIBUTIONS:
Selective Research Projects/Grants/Fellowship:
• Escher-Grad Technology/McGill Technology Transfer Office (Development of Photoswicthable Coatings for Printing Plate).
• British Petroleum, UK (Development of Self-healing Anti corrosion Polymer Coatings). (Completed).
• British Petroleum, AkzoNobel, International Paints, UK (External Epoxy Polymer Coatings for Oil and Gas Pipelines and Marines Applications.
• Developed and equipped Polymer Lab at Chemistry Department, McGill University, Montreal (Prof. Barrett’s Group).
• Submitted Reclaim of R & D Tax Return on the Research Projects carried out to Polychem Products, Canada.
• Developed Polymer/Surface Engineering Labs at SCME, NUST.
• Development of Intrinsic Anti-Fungal Transparent Polymer Compositions for Commercial Production of Photobioreactors (Approved and project in progress).
• Antifungal Polymer Membrane for Water treatment (Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China) (Approved-2015).
Peer Review Book Chapters Published
Encyclopedia of Biomedical Polymers and Polymeric Biomaterials (Taylor and Francis, USA) (Feb. 2015): ISBN 9781439898796
Following three chapters are the invited contributions. I am the lead author for these publication.
1. Ahmad, Nasir M.; Shaikh, Haseeb; Nauman, Mushaid; Sohaib, Tooba; Elaissari, Abdul Hamid. “Films: Stimuli-Responsive Biothin Films.” In Encyclopedia of Biomedical Polymers and Polymer Biomaterials, 1st Ed.; Mishra, M., Ed.; Taylor & Francis: New York, 2015; Vol. 5, 3409-3419.
2. Naseer, Nadia; Asghar, Arfaa; Faitma, Hira; Fatima, Nosheen; Habib, Sehrish; Ahmad, Nasir M.; Elaissari, Abdelhamid. “Stimuli-Responsive Polymers.” In Encyclopedia of Biomedical Polymers and Polymer Biomaterials, 1st Ed.; Mishra, M., Ed.; Taylor & Francis: New York, 2015; Vol. 11, 7663-7674.
3. Ahmed, Naveed; Ahmad, Nasir M.; Khan, Asad Ullah; Shaikh, Haseeb; Maqsood, Asghari; Elaissari, Abdul Hamid. “Theranostics: Biodegradable Polymer Particles.” In Encyclopedia of Biomedical Polymers and Polymer Biomaterials, 1st Ed.; Mishra, M., Ed.; Taylor & Francis: New York, 2015; Vol. 11, 7807-7823.
Following chapters are invited contribution
4. Chapter Title: Magnetically Functional Nanoparticles in Cancer Diagnostics, Drug Delivery and Therapy. In Book Title: 'Controlled Release Systems: Advances in Nanobottles and active Nanoparticles, Pan Stanford Publishing (2015).
5. Chapter Title: Soft Hybrid Nanoparticles From Preparation to Biomedical Applications, Pages 312-341. In Book Title: Soft Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications, Royal Society of Chemistry (2014).
Dr Nasir Ahmad has extensive experience of teaching and research. He enjoys teaching and has taught various courses to UG, MS and PhD students. Few examples of Courses taught during his academic career include: Polymer Science, Polymer Engineeirng; Polymer Chemistry; Thermodynamics of Materials; Surface engineering of materilas; Biomaterials; Material sTechnoogy; Nnaomaterials; Composite materials. In addition, Dr. Ahmad has always taken keen interested in developing curriculum in the area of polymers and also develop experiments for labs.