Muhammad Ahsan Mahboob
Geographical Information System & Remote Sensing
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
IGIS Building (2nd Floor)
Geoinformatics, Spatial Data Analysis and Modeling, Disaster Risk Management and Reduction
MS (Remote Sensing & GIS, NUST, Pakistan)
Mr. Muhammad Ahsan Mahboob is a Lecturer in the Institute of Geographical Information Systems (IGIS), School of Civil & Environmental Engineering (SCEE). He holds MS degree in Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System from National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan. He is the Gold Medalist of National University of Sciences and Technology. His areas of expertise are Geoinformatics Applications in Glaciology, Climate Change and Variability, Spatial Data Analysis and Modeling, Disaster Risk Management and Reduction. During his MS program he worked as Research Assistant on different projects including Mapping and Identification of Glaciers Lake Outburst Flood (GLOF), Modeling Glaciers Changes in Relation with Climate Variability, Hydrological Analysis of Course of Indus River, Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Natural Hazards and Risk Management, Soil Suitability Analysis, and Assessment of Spatial Variability of NDVI using MODIS products. As a Deputy Symposium Secretary he has organized an International Symposium on “Innovations and Advances in Mineral Resource Exploration, Identification, Extraction, Processing and Sustainable Mining Practices” and workshop on “Advanced Numerical Modeling Techniques for Complex Geomechanical Projects”, in which many reputable International and National researchers and scholars participated. He has participated as a speaker in many National and International Conferences and Workshops. He has also provided training to different National and International organizations including International Foundation for Electoral Systems. Along with Dr. Javed Iqbal he has also participated in a talk on the Earthquake Disaster and Risk Management in Baluchistan, Pakistan by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). He is also a member of Guidance and Evaluation Committee (GEC) of many MS students.
Geographic Information System & Remote Sensing Application in Natural Resources Management, Climate Change and Variability, Spatial Data Analysis and Modeling, Disaster Risk Management and Reduction.
1. Modeling and Simulation of Glacier Avalanche: A Case Study of Gayari Sector Glaciers Hazards Assessment
2. Monitoring of Baltoro Glacier using Remote Sensing & GIS.
3. Soil Suitability Analysis for Precision Agriculture using GIS & Remote Sensing Techniques.
4. Developing Productivity Zones from Multiple Years of Yield Monitor Data using GI Technology.
5. Site Suitability Analysis for a New Housing Society with the help of GIS application.
6. Road Network Analysis of NUST H-12 Sector Islamabad by creating a Complete Geodatabase of NUST.
7. Develop a Database of Topographic Survey Sheets of Pakistan in IGIS NUST using a commercial database Oracle.
8. Mapping of NUST H-12 Campus using ArcPad 8.0
9. Traversing of NICE-SCEE Campus using Differential GPS.
1. Mahboob, M., Iqbal, J., & Atif, I. (2015). Modeling
and Simulation of Glacier Avalanche: A Case Study of Gayari Sector
Glaciers Hazards Assessment. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, 53(11),
5824-5834. [Impact Factor 3.514] [ Download ]
2. Atif, I., Mahboob, M., & Iqbal, J. (2015). Snow Cover Area Change Assessment in 2003 and 2013 Using MODIS Data of the Upper Indus Basin Pakistan. Journal of Himalayan Earth Sciences, 48(2), 117-128. [ Download ]
3. Shaheen, N., Baig, M., Mahboob, M., Akbar, S., & Khokar, M. (2015). Application of Remote Sensing Technologies to detect the vegetation changes during past two decades in Islamabad, Pakistan. Journal of Social Sciences, 886-900. [ Download ]
4. Mahboob, M. A., Iqbal, J., & Atif, I. (2014). Modeling Snow Cover Dynamic in Hindukush & Himalaya Region, Pakistan using Satellite Remote Sensing Data. In 3rd International Conference on the Use of Space Technology for Water Management. Rabat: Royal Center for Remote Sensing (CRTS) Morocco.
5. Mahboob, M., Iqbal, J., & Atif, I. (2014). Modelling Topographic Variation of Solar Radiation Using GIS. In 2014 International Conference on Energy Systems and Policies (ICESP). Islamabad: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE Xplore. [ Download ]
6. Abbasi, Z., Jahangir, F., & Mahboob, M. (2013). Economic Geology and Depositional Environment of Bauxite and Laterite Mineral Resources of Southeastern Hazara. In Innovations and Advances in Mineral Resource Exploration, Identification, Extraction, Processing, and Sustainable Mining Practices. Islamabad: National University of Sciences and Technology.
7. Mahboob, M., Iqbal, J. and Atif, I. (2012). The Impact of Climate Change: Modeling of Baltoro Glacier using Geoinformatics. In International Conference on Climate Change: Opportunities and Challenges. Islamabad.
8. Munir, B., Iqbal, J. and Mahboob, M. A. (2012). Climate Change Impact on Flow Discharge of Neelum River Catchment Using Snowmelt Runoff Model. In International Conference on Climate Change: Opportunities and Challenges. Islamabad.
9. Mahboob, M., Iqbal, J. and Atif, I. (2011). Application of Remote Sensing for Glaciers Monitoring and Mapping. In International Workshop on Hydro-Meteorological Monitoring of the upper Indus basin. Islamabad.
1. February, 2013 – Present. Lecturer, IGIS, NUST, Islamabad.
Taught to UG and PG Students:
a. Spatial Data Analysis
b. Geodesy and Map Projections
c. Land Information Systems
d. GIS Applications to Geo and Natural Hazards
f. Introduction to GIS and Remote Sensing
g. Advance Geographic Information Systems
2. October 2012 – January 2013. Temporary Visiting Faculty (TVF), IGIS, NUST, Islamabad.
Taught to UG:
3. September, 2011 – September, 2012. Research Assistant, IGIS, NUST, Islamabad.
Taught to UG and PG Students:
a. Spatial Data Analysis
b. Special Topics in GIS
January 2013 – June 2013.
Deputy Symposium Secretary of “Innovations and Advances in Mineral Resource Exploration, Identification, Extraction, Processing and Sustainable Mining Practices” and workshop on “Advanced Numerical Modeling Techniques for Complex Geomechanical Projects”, IGIS, NUST, Islamabad