Library Vision and Mission Statement
1. As a center of knowledge, the NUST Central Library shares with the University the aspiration to be the most
dynamic learning environment in the world. To fulfill this mission, the Library commits to:
(a) Developing and maintaining collections in support of the academic pursuits of the university;
(b) To locate, evaluate and use information available in a variety of innovative and traditional formats;
(c) Through promotion, the Library makes people aware of the resources available to them, and through
innovation, it makes access to these resources easier;
(d) Fostering a work-place culture where library staff is responsible to the university's needs in the rapidly
changing information environment;
(e) The Library continues to embrace change and align itself to providing a student-centered learning
environment,to support professional growth and opportunity, and to reward flexibility and innovation and
(f) To serve future users, the Library preserves information across all formats and ensures effective storage
and delivery systems.
2. NUST is committed to excellence and innovation in undergraduate and graduate teaching, service, research
and other scholarly activities. The Library supports this commitment by:
(a) Selecting, acquiring, organizing, preserving and providing access to library materials and resources;
(b) Understand the research, build collections and create tools to support research, teaching, and learning;
(c) Provide access to and promote the discovery and use of local and external information resources;
(d) Ensure the preservation and long-lasting availability of Library collections and resources;
(e) Advance local, national, and international library and information initiatives;
(f) Develop, encourage, and sustain expertise, skill, commitment in its staff ; and
(g) Supporting professional development and training opportunities for library staff;
1. In all of our interactions, we are guided by these values:
- We encourage the process of learning.
- We anticipate and contribute to scholarly inquiry.
- We promote the Library as both a real and virtual extended classroom.
- We embrace our role as collectors and custodians of the intellectual record.
- Believe that each user of the Library is unique and important.
- We evolve to meet the changing needs of the Library and its users.
- We maintain a comfortable, welcoming and secure place for study, research, work, reflection and interaction.
- We commit ourselves to excellence.
- We seek out the best people and resources to accomplish our work.
- We support individual growth and organizational development.
- We work diligently to exceed the expectations of those we serve.
- We relate to each other with honesty and candor.
- We adhere to the principles of fairness, justice and equality in our work.
- We promote the highest standards of our profession, including open and equitable access to information.
- We demonstrate a strong work ethic, taking responsibility for our actions, keeping our word, and following through on our commitments.
- We treat everyone with equal consideration and courtesy.
- We encourage differences in perspective, opinions and ideas.
- We consider the needs of others.
- We engage in open and honest communication at all levels.
- We recognize the importance of Library-wide participation.
- We share information and solicit opinions about decisions that affect the success of the Library.