Dr. Saadia Andleeb
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
H-12 Sector, Islamabad, Pakistan 44000
PhD (Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad, Pakistan)
Dr.Andleeb joined ASAB, NUST in September 2010 as assistant professor. Dr. Andleeb earned her PhD from Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad where she worked at Department of Microbiology as HEC indigenous scholar. Her PhD work revolved around immobilization of fungal and bacterial strains on different solid supports and their use in bioreactor for the waste water treatment. The strains were isolated from Pakistan and most of the research work was carried out at Faculty of Life sciences, University of Manchester, UK. During her Phd, Dr Andleeb got expertise in dealing with HPLC, GC-MS, LC-MS, FTIR, NMR, Ion Chromatography and DGGE. She specializes in Biotechnology, Microbiology and environmental Biotechnology. Dr. Andleeb is running collaborative projects with eminent professors in renowned universities like Florida University, USA; Emory University, USA; Oxford University, UK; University of Manchester, UK and Washington University in St. loius, USA.
Research interests encompass both applied and basic research projects regarding environmental and medical Microbiology. The role of indigenous environmental microbial strains for the therapy of environmental and medical issues is of great concern now days. The designing of the projects is based on the ultimate goal of understanding bacteriophage therapy against microbial strains of pathogenic and environmental issues.
Main Focus areas
Comparative prevalence of antibiotic resistance genes in environment and Hospital strains
Bacteriophage therapy against biofilm forming bacteria
Vancomycin resistance enterococcus and VRE phages
Microbiology and Bacteriophage therapy of diabetic foot ulcers
1. Waqas Nasir Ch., Irshad ul Haq. Saadia Andleeb., Ishtiaq Qadri. 2013. Isolation and characterization of virulent bacteriophage LK1 against Citrobacter freundii. J of Basic Microbiology doi: 10.1002/jobm.201200710.
2. Sadia Anjum, Sidra Ali, Tahir Ahmad, Muhammad Sohail Afzal, Yasir Waheed, Talha Shafi, Muhammad Ashraf and Saadia Andleeb. 2013. Sequence and Structural Analysis of 3' Untranslated Region of Hepatitis C Virus, Genotype 3a, From Pakistani Isolates. Hepatitis Monthly.13(5): e8390
3. Adnan Amin, Muhammad Ayaz Khan, Uzma Haroon, Sheikh Muhammad Farooq Azam, Saadia Andaleeb, Pir Bux Ghumro. Determination of antibiotic resistance prototype and in vitro R plasmid transfer by conjugation between faecal Escherichia coli isolates from Broiler feces. Thai J Vet Med. 2012. 42(1): 87-93.
4. Adnan Amin, malik Irfanullah, Abdul Hameed, Saadia Andleeb, Muhammad ayaz khan. 2012. Determination of antibiotic resistance patteren in Escherchia. Coli strains isolated from animal feaces in a farm house.13 (13): 250-254.
5. Irshad Ul Haq, Waqas Nasir Chaudhry, Maha Nadeem Akhtar, Saadia Andleeb and Ishtiaq Qadri. 2011 Bacteriophages and their Implications on Future Biotechnology: A Review. Virology Journal 2012, 9:9.
6. Andleeb, S., N. Atiq., G.D. Robson., S. Ahmad. 2011. An investigation of anthraquinone dye biodegradation by Aspergillus flavus SA2 in self designed fluidized bed bioreactor. Environmental Pollution and Research Journal. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-011-0687-x
7. Haq IU, Chaudhry WN, Andleeb S, Qadri I. 2011. Isolation and Partial Characterization of a Virulent Bacteriophage IHQ1 Specific for Aeromonas punctata from Stream Water. Microbial Ecolology journal. DOI 10.1007/s00248-011-9944-
8. Andleeb, S, Naima Atiq, Arvind Kumar Parmer, RobSon, G.D., Ahmed, S. 2011. An HPLC Method development for the assessment of degradation products of Anthraquinone dye. Journal of environmental monitoring and assessment. Environ Monit Assess. 176:597–604.
9. Andleeb, S, N. Atiq, M. I. Ali, R. R. Ul-hussnain, M. Shafique, B. Ahmad, P. B. Ghumro, M. Hussain, A. Hameed, S. Ahmad. 2010. Biological treatment of textile effluent in stirred tank bioreactor. Int.J. Agric.Biol.,12(2):256-260.
10. Naima Atiq, Safia Ahmed, M.Ishtiaq Ali, Andleeb, S, Bashir Ahmad and Geoffery Robson. 2010. Isolation and identification of polystyrene biodegrading bacteria from soil. African journal of Microbiology Research. 4(14):1527-1541.
11. Andleeb, S, M. I. Ali, N. Atiq, F. Ur-Rehman, G. D. Robson, A. Hameed, S. Ahmad. 2010. Biodegradation of anthraquinone dye by Aspergillus niger SA1 in self designed fluidized bed bioreactor”. Iran. J. Environ. Health. Sci. Eng. 7( 5): 371-376
12. Muhammad. I. Ali, Q. Perveen, I. Javed, B. Ahmad, P. B. Ghumro, R. R. Hussnain, Andleeb, S, N. Atique, A. Hameed and S. Ahmed. 2009. “Studies on Biodegradation of Cellulose Blended Polyvinyl Chloride Films. Int.J. Agric.Biol., 11:577-580M.
13. F. Siddiqui, Andleeb, S, N. Ali, P. B. Ghumro, S. Ahmed. 2009. Upflow Fungal column reactor for the treatment of anthraquinone dye Drimarene blue. African Journal of Biotechnology. 8 (20): 5570-5577.
14. F. Siddique., Andleeb, S., P. B. Ghumro, N.Ali and S. Ahmed. 2009. Biotreatment of anthraquinone dye Drimarene blue K2RL. African journal of environmental sciences and technology. 4(1): 045-050.
Molecular probes and biosensors (UG)
Applications of Biotechnology (UG)
Environmental Biotechnology (UG, PG)
Molecular microbiology (PG)
Bioprocess engineering (PG)
Applications of Biotechnology (UG)
WWF as Research Officer
Responsibility: Project designing for oil spill bioremediation