Dr. Najam Us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
H-12 Sector, Islamabad, Pakistan 44000
Biotechnology / Molecular Biology / Flaviviruses / Avian Influenza Virus
PhD (University of the Punjab Lahore, Pakistan); Post Doctorate: (Virology) France
Dr. Zaidi joined ASAB, NUST in September 2008 as a Post-Doctoral Fellow on a Pak/US grant. She was promoted as an Assistant Professor in April 2010 and appointed as the Head of Department in 2011. Prior to joining NUST, Dr. Zaidi served University of Wah as a Lecturer from 2007 to 2008. Dr. Zaidi earned her PhD from University of the Punjab, Lahore where she worked at School of Biological Sciences (SBS). Her PhD work revolved around molecular cloning, over expression and proteomics studies for cellulase producing bacteria utilized for biofuel production. During her Postdoctoral studies, she worked at the Pastuer Institute, Lille, France for development of Intragenotypic Chimeric Hepatitis C viruses. Dr Zaidi specializes in Biotechnology, Virology, Vaccinology, Molecular Biology,G Engineering and Nanobiotechnology. Dr. Zaidi is running collaborative projects with eminent professors in renowned universities like Rockefeller University, USA; Perdue University, USA; Oxford University, UK; University of Manchester, UK; University of North Carolina, USA and University of Lille II, France.
Research interests encompass both applied and basic research projects regarding Infectious Diseases and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases including HCV, Dengue Virus, Avian Influenza Virus, NDV, etc. The projects have been designed and perceived keeping in mind the goal of understanding viral pathogenesis and development of cell culture based/VLP vaccines. Identifying potential targets for viral inhibition and conduction of pre and post clinical trials is also amongst the prime research interests.
1. Cloning and characterization of full length Dengue virus Genome of Pakistani origin. PSF Grant (PI) PKR 1.9 Million.
2. Design and Development of Water Purification Technologies using Nanotechnology. MoST Grant (PI) PKR 75.0 Million.
3. Production and Characterization of Cell Culture Derived Virus Like Particles Based Influenza Virus Vaccine. HEC- Pakistan (PI) PKR 32.0 Million.
4. PC-I: Strengthening of Biotechnology Center (ASAB) at NUST. (PI) PKR 214 Million.
1. Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi et al (2004) Evaluation of serum testosterone levels among Pakistani women with a history of infertility. Pakistan Journal of Medical Research. Jan-March 2004.Vol:43:1. ISSN no: 0030-9842
2. Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Saima Sadaf and Waheed Akhtar (2008) Cloning and overexpression of Pyrococcus furiosus endoglucanase eglA in Escherchia coli. Pakistan Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. December 2008. Vol:41:4.pp 172-175.
3. M Faheem, Ummar Raheel, M Nasir Riaz, Naghmana Kanwal, Farakh Javed, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Ishtiaq Qadri "A Molecular Evaluation of Dengue Virus Pathogenesis and Its Latest Vaccine Strategies " (2010) Molecular Biology Reports. 38:3731–3740.
4. Ummar Raheel, M Faheem, m Nasir Riaz, Naghmana Kanwal, Farakh Javed, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Ishtiaq Qadri."Dengue in Indian Subcontinent "(2011) Journal of Infection in Developing Countries. 5(4):239-247.
5. M Sohail Afzal, Sadia Tahir, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Ishtiaq Qadri "Analysis of interlekin-10 gene polymorphism and hepatitis C susceptibility in Pakistan (2011) Journal of Infection in Developing Countries. 5(6):473-479
6. Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Waheed Akhtar "Inactivation of Pyrococcus furiosus Endoglucanase A Gene (eglA) by Signal Peptide Deletion " (2011) NUST Journal of Natural Science Vol:1 pp:6-9
7. Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Naghmana Kanwal, Farakh Javed, Awaisa Ghazal, Kaneez Fatima, Ishtiaq Qadri. “Phylogenetic and structural analysis of HCV non structural protein 4a from Pakistani patients” (2011) Virus Genes. 44:1-7.
8. Zia-ur-Rehman Farooqi, Muhammad Sohail Afzal, Sadia Tahir, Najam-us-Sahar Sadaf Zaidi and Ishtaiq Qadri. Interleukin-12 P40 (IL-12 B) Taq-1 Polymorphism association in pharmacogenomics of HCV genotype 3a infection from Pakistani population (2011). 2011 International Conference on Environmental, Biomedical and Biotechnology IPCBEE vol.16. IACSIT Press, Singapore.
9. Naghmana Kanwal, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Farakh Javed, Ishtiaq Qadri, Marium Kathleen Gomez "HCV Non Structural Protein 4B- A Membraneous Web Inducer” (2012) Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease. 457-501.
10. Hashaam Akhtar, Yasmeen Badshah, Samar Akhtar, Naghmana Kanwal, Maha Nadeem Akhtar, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Ishtiaq Qadri. Prevalence of Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection among Transgender men in Rawalpindi (Pakistan). (2012) Virology Journal 9:229 doi:10.1186/1743-422X-9-229.
11. Abbas Raza, Kashif Mehmood, Fakhira Begum, Mustafeez Mujtaba Babar, Suleman Riaz, Umer Javed, Zaira Rehman, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Aleem Siddiqui and Ishtiaq Qadri. Immunological profiling of Hepatitis B virus surface gene in Pakistani Population. (2012) Novusscientia.
12. Anwar, S., Tahir, M., Zaidi, N.S.S., Briddon, R. W. (2012). First report of Clerodendron yellow mosaic virus infecting Croton. Journal of Plant Pathology. DOI: 10.4454/JPP.DN.2012.036
13. Saman Khan, Ishtiaq A Qazi, Imran Hashmi Hashmi, Muhammad Ali Awan, and Sadaf Zaidi (2013) .Synthesis of silver doped titanium TiO2 powder-coated surfaces and its ability to inactivate Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Bacillus subtilis. Journal of Nanomaterials. doi.org/10.1155/2013/531010.
14. Hashaam Akhtar, Samar Akhtar, Ummar Raheel, Muhammad Faheem, Muhammad Arshad, Muhammad Yameen, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi (2013). Interferons as immune regulators: A rivalry between HCV and Interferons. J Clin Cell Immunol 3: 136. doi:10.4172/2155-9899.1000136
15. Mustafeez Mujtaba Babar, Muhammad Suleman Riaz, Najam-us-Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, Farhan Afzal and Muhammad Sabir Farooq (2013). Production of avian influenza virus vaccine using primary cell cultures generated from host organs. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology. 40:625–632
16. M. Sohail, Saadia Anjum and Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi (2013). Effect of functional Interleukin-10 polymorphism on pegylated interferon-Î± plus ribavirin therapy response in chronic Hepatitis C Virus Patients infected with 3a genotype in Pakistani population. Hepatitis Monthly. (Paper Accepted)
17. Mustafeez Babar, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi, M Asraf and A Kazi (2013). Antiviral Drug Therapy- Exploiting Medicinal Plants. Antivirals & Antiretrovirals. doi.org/10.4172/jaa.1000060.
18. Hashaam Akhtar, Samar Akhtar, Syed Umer Jan,Azka Khan, Najam us Sahar Sadaf Zaidi and Ishtiaq Qadri. (2013) Over expression of a synthetic gene encoding interferon lambda using relative synonymous Codon usage bias in Escherichia coli. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci., Vol.26, No.6, November 2013, pp.1181-1188
• Cell Biology (MPhil Leading to PhD)
• Phylogeny and Taxonomy of Viruses (UG)
• Vaccinology (MPhil Leading to PhD)
• Cellular Signaling Mechanisms (UG)
• Advances in Molecular Biology (Direct PhD)
• Biotechnology (Direct PhD)
• Advances in Biotechnology (Direct PhD)
• Immunology (UG)
• Entrepreneurship (UG)
Asst Quality Control Manager Sep 2000-Apr 2001
Responsible for the quality control of all the raw material, finished products and equipment in the pharmaceutical laboratory.
Involved in the development of new protocols for the assessment and quantification of raw materials and finished products.