Dr Syed Aqueel Shah
Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
PNS Jauhar, Habib Ibrahim Rehmatullah Road, Karachi – 75350, Pakistan
021-48504319 & +92-300-8131490
Non Traditional Machining Processes
PhD Non-Conventional Machining Processes
Dr. Aqueel has done PhD in Manufacturing Engineering and working as Head of Post Graduate Programme in Mechanical Engineering Department. HEC registered supervisor and also working as Assistant Professor. His PhD topic's main focus was 'Investigation of Variables Effecting Kerf Width Surface Roughness and Material Removal Rate in Wire Electrical Discharge Machining'. He has more than 7 years of teaching, research and development experience with international and national universities/ organisations including King Saud University, UET Lahore, PN Dockyard, Refrigeration and Air conditioner manufacturers, Denim industry, National private Hospital, PCSIR and NUST Pakistan.
2012: Ph.D (Manufacturing Engineering) - Non-Conventional Machining Processes
University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan.
2006: M.Sc. (Manufacturing Engineering)
University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan.
1995: B.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan.
Research interests include but not limited to the following:
• Advance Manufacturing technologies
• Manufacturing System Engineering
• Project Management
• Product development Management
• Quality Management
• Renewable Energy Projects
• CAD/ CAM
• Power Generation and Distribution
• Renewable Energy
- Aqueel Shah, N.A. Mufti, E. Bamberg, “Material Removal Rate, Kerf, and Surface Roughness of Tungsten Carbide Machined with Wire Electrical Discharge Machining”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 20, No. 1. Pp. 71-76, 2011 Impact Factor 0.86
- Muhammad Babar, Imthias Ahmed, Aqueel Shah, Essam A. Alammar, Nazar H. Malik and Faisal R. Pazheri, "An Algorithm for Load Curtailment in Aggregated Demand Response Program", Second IEEE-PES Conference in Middle East on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies, 08 - 11 December, Jeddah, 2012 Saudi Arabia.
- Muhammad Babar , T.P. Imthias Ahamed, Essam A. Al-Ammar, Aqueel Shah, “A Novel Algorithm for Demand Reduction Bid based Incentive Program in Direct Load Control”, Energy Procedia, Volume 42, Pages 607–613, 20 November 2013
- Babar, Muhammad; Ahamed, TP; Shah, Aqueel; Al-Ammar, Essam A; Malik, Nazar H;"Novel algorithm for aggregated demand response strategy for smart distribution network" Electric Power and Energy Conversion Systems (EPECS), 2013 3rd International Conference IEEE
- Najeeb Niazi, Salman Nisar and Aqueel Shah, “Austempering Heat Treatment of AISI 4340 Steel and Comparative Analysis of Various Physical Properties at Different Parameters”, International Journal of Interdisciplinary sciences and Engineering, Vol 5, No. 10, Pp 6-11, 10 October, 2014
- Babar, M.; Ahamed, T.P.I. ; Al-Ammar, E. ; Shah, “A.Consolidated Demand Bid Model and Strategy in a Constrained Direct Load Control Program”, GCC Conference and Exhibition (GCCCE), 2015 IEEE 8th,1-4 Feb. 2015, Pages1-6, Muscat
- Arsalan Qasim, Salman Nisar, Aqueel Shah, Saeed Khalid, Mohammad A Sheikh, “Optimization of process parameters for machining of AISI-1045 steel using Taguchi design and ANOVA”, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory Volume 59, Pages 36–51, 10 December 2015 Impact Factor 1.38
- Muntazir Abbas, Salman Nisar, Aqueel Shah, Faisal Imtiaz Khan, “Effect of T6 heat treatment on mechanical properties of ceramic reinforced cast aluminum alloy”, Iranian Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, volume 12, number 2, Pages 17–24, 14 December 2015
- Abdul Rahim, Aqueel Shah, Salman Nisar, “Comparison of Gear Profile and Lead Variation developed by CNC Wire-EDM and Hobbing”, 5th International Mechanical Engineering Congress, The Institute of Engineers Pakistan, Karachi, page 9, 9-10 May 2015
- Tanzila Younas, Aqueel Shah, Tahir Hussain, “An Experimental Study on the Deterioration of Paint Coatings in the Bilges of a Sea Vessel”, Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, Mehran University, Volume 35, No. 2, Pages 171–180, 22 March, 2016
- Sarah Ahmed, Sohaib Z Khan, Tariq M Khan, Yasir F Joya, Aqueel Shah, Muhammad A Khan, “Material properties assessment of AISI 316L stainless steel using non-destructive evaluation technique”, Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Volume 31, Issue 2, , Pages 1–11, 08 January 2016 Impact Factor 0.63
- Rafey Khan, S. Nisar, A. Shah, M. A. Khan, S. Z. Khan & M. A. Sheikh, “Reducing machining distortion in AA 6061 alloy through re-heating technique”, Journal of Materials Science and Technology Pages 1-7, 20 Oct 2016 Impact Factor 1.9
1. Sep. 2016 - Present: Head of Post Graduate Programme - Mechanical Engineering Department PNEC NUST Karachi, Pakistan
Management of PhD and MS programmes, interviews/selection of students, correspondence with NUST main office regarding PG student’s affairs including conferences, withdrawals, scholarships, freezing semesters, curriculum review, awards, warnings, convocations, student’s progress seminars etc and consultancy to all PG students. Arrangement of permanent and temporary visiting faculty according to requirements. Appraisal of DEAN/VP/VC/Commandant of the college.
2. 2009-Present: Teaching - Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department PNEC NUST Karachi, Pakistan
Experience at PNEC, NUST Karachi, 03 years after MS during Ph.D and 03 years after PhD. Teaching PG and UG classes both. Teaching engineering related professional courses to Armed Forces Officers. Maintenance of training logs, continuous assessment, attendance record keeping, warnings and awards through DEAN, consultancy etc.
3. 2013- Aug. 2016: Head of Post Graduate Programme - Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department PNEC NUST Karachi, Pakistan.
Advertisements of PhD and MS programmes, entry test arrangements and schedules, interviews/selection of students, suggesting advisors, correspondence with NUST head office regarding PG student’s affairs including conferences, withdrawals, scholarships, freezing semesters, curriculum review, awards, warnings, convocations, student’s progress seminars etc. Keeping track and record of all “on campus” and “off campus” students, monitoring of their research work progress in consultation with their advisors/supervisors and consultancy to all PG students. Allocation of subjects to Faculty Members, preparation of time table, arrangement of permanent and temporary visiting faculty according to needs, monitoring of Evening program, and student feedback. Appraisal of DEAN/VP/VC/Commandant of the college.
1. 2003-2004: Chief Engineer of Medium Size Steam Propulsion Ship Karachi, Pakistan
1.5 years of independent management of 140 men onboard ships. Supervision/maintenance/repair and operation of Boilers, Steam turbines, Gearboxes, Propellers and shafting, Diesel generators, Turbo Generators, Power generation and distribution. High pressure Air compressors, Refrigeration and air conditioning plants (Up to 75 tons capacity), Distilling plants, Fuel storage and transfer systems, AVCAT fuel and fueling systems. Follow up of maintenance management system and implementation of preventive maintenance schedule
2. 2002-2003: Industrial: Shipbuilding and Repair Governmental Organization Karachi, Pakistan
01 year of operation, planning & conduct of overhaul of 16 in number MTU Germany diesel engines at PNSC workshops Karachi. It included Inventory Control, Spares, Materials and Measuring instruments. Liaison and Correspondence with repair agencies such as PN dockyard, Karachi Shipyard and Pakistan National Shipping Corporation
3. 2002: Chief Engineer of Small Size Diesel Propulsion Ship Karachi, Pakistan
02 years of independent management of 40 men onboard ship. Supervision/maintenance/repair and operation of Diesel Engines, Gearboxes, Propellers and shafting, Diesel generators, Power generation and distribution. Follow up of maintenance management system and implementation of preventive maintenance schedule
4. 1999-2000: Industrial: Shipbuilding and Repair Governmental Organization Karachi, Pakistan
01 year of Quality Assurance Management at PN Dockyard Karachi according to ISO 9000 as Deputy Manager Calibration.
5. 1998-1999: Deputy Chief Engineer of Medium Size Steam Propulsion Ship Karachi, Pakistan
01 year of assisting Chief Engineer in management of 120 men onboard ship. Supervision/maintenance/repair and operation of Boilers, Steam turbines, Gearboxes, Propellers and shafting, Diesel generators, Turbo Generators, Power generation and distribution. High pressure Air compressors, Refrigeration and air conditioning plants, Distilling plants, Fuel storage and transfer systems, Follow up of maintenance management system and implementation of preventive maintenance schedule.