Dr. Muhammad Faisal Amjad
Department of Information Security
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
Military College of Signals, Humayun Road, Rawalpindi
+92 51 9240952
Spectrum sensing/sharing, Routing and security in Cognitive Radio Networks as well as Wireless Ad hoc, Sensor networks, Game Theory and Multi-Agent systems, Digital forensics, Information security, Malware Analysis and Reverse Engineering
PhD Computer Science, University of Central Florida (UCF), USA (2015).
Dr. Muhammad Faisal Amjad received PhD Degree in Computer Science from University of Central Florida (UCF) USA in 2015 and Masters’ and Bachelors’ degrees in Software Engineering from NUST, Pakistan in 2000 and 2003 respectively. His research is focused on but not limited to Spectrum sensing/sharing, routing and security in Cognitive Radio Networks as well as Wireless Ad hoc, sensor networks, Game Theory and Multi-Agent systems, Digital forensics, Information security, Malware Analysis and Reverse Engineering. He is a Senior Member of IEEE, Pakistan Engineering Council as well as Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) International honors society in the field of computing. He is an EC-Council Certified Incident Handler (ECIH), a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) as well as Cisco Certified Academy Instructor (CCAI).
Dr. Amjad’s professional services include Technical Program Committee Member and reviewer for several international journals and conferences. He has authored 18 scientific research articles in prestigious international journals and conferences while a number of his papers are currently under review. Presently he is working as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Information Security, National University of Sciences & Technology (NUST), Pakistan where he is supervising several graduate and undergraduate students for their theses and capstone projects.
Dr. Amjad also has extensive industry experience coupled with government projects in the field of deployment, operation and management of Data Networks. He has also been a manager of campus data center tasked with the design and implementation of the campus-wide Information management system.
Senior Member IEEE – Membership number 92727993
Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) International Honors Society for Computing and Information Disciplines
Cisco Certified Academy Instructor (CCAI)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) – Routing and Switching
EC-Council Certified Incident Handler (ECIH)
President’s Gold Medal for securing 1st Position in MS Computer Software Engg 2004 – National University of Sciences & Technology
Cisco Networking Academy – Instructor Excellence Expert 2016, 2017.
Fulbright PhD Scholarship 2010 – 2015.
Ministry of Science and Technology Open Merit Scholarship (Indigenous MS Program) 2001-2003
NUST Merit scholarship during MS Degree for demonstrating highest academic standards.
- Spectrum sensing/ sharing
- Routing and security in Cognitive Radio Networks as well as Wireless Ad hoc
- Sensor networks
- Game Theory and Multi-Agent systems
- Digital forensics
- Information security
- Malware Analysis
- Reverse Engineering
Research Grant / Funding
- Higher Education Commission of Pakistan “Establishment of National Cyber Security Auditing and Evaluation Lab (NCSAEL) as part of National Center of Cyber Security” ($600,000 or PKR 69.3 million, Co-PI 25% share, project duration July 2018 – June 2021).
- R. Zojaj Naeem, S. Bashir, M. Faisal Amjad, Haider Abbas, Hammad Afzal, "Fog computing in internet of things: Practical applications and future directions", Springer Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, DOI doi.org/10.1007/s12083-019-00728-0, impact factor 1.514.
- Maham Jahangir, Hammad Afzal, Mehreen Ahmed, Khawar Khurshid, M. Faisal Amjad, Haider Abbas, Raheel Nawaz, "Auto-MeDiSine: An Auto-Tunable Medical Decision Support Engine using an automated Class Outlier Detection method and AutoMLP", Under revision Springer Neural Computing and Applications, impact factor 4.213.
- Tahreem Yaqoob, Azka Arshad, Haider Abbas, M. Faisal Amjad, Narmeen Shafqat, “Framework for Calculating Return on Security Investment (ROSI) for Security-Oriented Organizations”. Elsevier Future Generation Computer Systems June 2019, vol 95 pp 754-763, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2018.12.033, impact factor 4.63.
- Raza Yunus, Omar Arif, Hammad Afzal, M. Faisal Amjad, Haider Abbas, H. Noor Bokhari, S. Tazeen Haider, N. Zafar, R. Nawaz, "A Framework to Estimate the Nutritional Value of Food in Real Time Using Deep Learning Techniques," IEEE Access, vol 7 issue 1 pp 2643-2652, 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2879117, impact factor 3.557.
- Anam Mehtab, Waleed Shahid, M. Faisal Amjad, Tehreem Yaqoob, Hammad Afzal, Haider Abbas, "AdDroid : Rule based Machine Learning Framework for Android Malware Analysis", Accepted, In Press, Springer Mobile Networks and Applications 2019, impact factor 2.497.
- M. Asim, M. Faisal Amjad, W. Iqbal, H. Afzal, H. Abbas, Y. Zhang, “AndroKit: A Toolkit for Forensics Analysis of Web Browsers on Android Platform”, Elsevier Future Generation Computer Systems, vol 94, pp 781-794, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2018.08.020, Impact Factor 4.639.
- K. Khurshid, Mehreen, H. Afzal, I. Siddiqi, M. Faisal Amjad, “Exploring Nested Ensemble Learners using Over-production and Choose Approach for Churn Prediction in Telecom Industry”, Springer Neural Computing and Applications, pp 1-15, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00521-018-3678-8, Impact Factor 4.213.
- Saim A. Khaliq, M. Faisal Amjad, Haider Abbas, Narmeen Shafqat, “Defence Against PUE Attacks in Ad hoc Cognitive Radio Networks: A Mean Field Game Approach”, Vol 70, Issue 1, pp 123–140, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11235-018-0472-y, Telecommunication Systems (Springer), Impact Factor 1.542.
- Rashid M. Khan, Waseem Iqbal, M. Faisal Amjad, Haider Abbas, Hammad Afzal, A. Rauf, M. Pasha, “Forensic Investigation to detect forgeries in ASF Files of Contemporary IP Cameras”, The Journal of Supercomputing 2018, Volume 74, Issue 10, pp 5060–5081, 10.1007/s11227-018-2377-7, Impact Factor 1.326.
- Afraa Attiah,, M. Faisal Amjad, Mainak Chatterjee,, Cliff Zou, “An Evolutionary Routing Game for Energy Balance in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Elsevier Computer Networks Volume 138, 19 June 2018, pp 31-43, DOI 10.1016/j.comnet.2018.03.032 Impact Factor 2.516.
- Omar Nakhila, M. Faisal Amjad, Erich Dondyk, Cliff Zou, "Gateway independent user-side wi-fi Evil Twin Attack detection using virtual wireless clients", Elsevier Computers & Security, Volume 74, May 2018, Pages 41-54, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2017.12.009, Impact Factor 2.849.
- A. Kazmi, Mehreen Afzal, M. Faisal Amjad, H. Abbas, X. Yang, “Algebraic Side Channel Attack on Trivium and Grain Ciphers”, IEEE Access 2017, vol 5 pp 23958 – 23968, DOI 10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2766234. Impact Factor 3.24.
- M. Faisal Amjad, Mainak Chatterjee, Cliff C. Zou, "Coexistence in Heterogeneous Spectrum Through Distributed Correlated Equilibrium in Cognitive Radio Networks", Elsevier Computer Networks (COMNET), Vol. 98, pp 109 -122, 2016. Impact Factor 2.516.
- M. Faisal Amjad, Mainak Chatterjee, Omar Nakhila, Cliff C. Zou, "Evolutionary Non-Cooperative Spectrum Sharing Game: Long Term Coexistence for Collocated Cognitive Radio Networks", Wiley Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing (WCM) 2016, vol 16 issue 15 pp 2166-2178, Impact Factor 1.899
- M. Faisal Amjad, Baber Aslam, Afraa Attiah, Cliff C. Zou, "Towards Trustworthy Collaboration in Spectrum Sensing for Ad hoc Cognitive Radio Networks", Springer Wireless Networks Vol. 22, Issue 3, pp 781-797, 2016. Impact Factor 1.584.
- A. khan, M. Sohaib, M. Faisal Amjad, “High Capacity Multi-Layer Framework for Highly Robust Textual Steganography”, Science International 2016 pp 4451-4457, Impact Factor 1.365.
- Aaron Walker, M. Faisal Amjad, Shamik Sengupta, “Cuckoo's Malware Threat Scoring and Classification: Friend or Foe?”, IEEE Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference, Las Vegas, USA, 2019.
- Tahreem Yaqoob, Faiza Mir, Haider Abbas, Waleed Bin Shahid, M. Faisal Amjad, Narmeen Shafqat, “Feasibility Analysis for Deploying National Healthcare Information System (NHIS) for Pakistan” 19th International Conference on E-health Networking, Application & Services (IEEE HealthCom) 2017.
- Afraa Attiah, M. Faisal Amjad, Mainak Chatterjee, Cliff Zou, “An Evolutionary Game for Efficient Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks”, IEEE Globecom 2016, Washington DC, USA.
- Afraa Attiah, M. Faisal Amjad, Omar Nakhila, Cliff Zou, "ADP: An Adaptive Feedback Approach for Energy-Efficient Wireless Sensor Networks", International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (IEEE ICNC), February 2016.
- Omar Nakhila, M. Faisal Amjad, Cliff C. Zou, "User-Side Wi-Fi Evil Twin Attack Detection Using SSL/TCP Protocols", IEEE CCNC 2015.
- M. Faisal Amjad, Mainak Chatterjee, Omar Nakhila, Cliff C. Zou, "An Evolutionary Game Theoretic Framework for Coexistence in Cognitive Radio Networks", IEEE GlobalSIP 2014, Atlanta GA, USA.
- M. Faisal Amjad, M. Chatterjee, Cliff C. Zou, “Inducing Voluntary Cooperation for Optimal Coexistence in Cognitive Radio Networks: A Game Theoretic Approach”, IEEE Military Communications Conference (IEEE Milcom) 2014.
- M. Faisal Amjad, Baber Aslam, Cliff C. Zou, "DS3: A Dynamic and Smart Spectrum Sensing Technique for Cognitive Radio Networks Under Denial of Service Attack", IEEE Globecom, Atlanta, Dec. 9-13, 2013.
- M. Faisal Amjad, Baber Aslam, Cliff C. Zou, "Reputation Aware Collaborative Spectrum Sensing for Mobile Cognitive Radio Networks", IEEE Military Communications Conference (IEEE MILCOM), San Diego, Nov. 18-20, 2013.
- Baber Aslam, M. Faisal Amjad, Cliff C. Zou, "PMTR: Privacy-enhancing Multilayer Trajectory-based Routing Protocol for Vehicular ad hoc Networks", IEEE Military Communications Conference (IEEE MILCOM), San Diego, Nov. 18-20, 2013.
- M. Faisal Amjad, Baber Aslam, Cliff C. Zou, "Transparent Cross-Layer Solutions for Throughput Boost in Cognitive Radio Networks," Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (IEEE CCNC), Las Vegas USA, Jan. 11-14, 2013.
- Baber Aslam, M. Faisal Amjad, Cliff C. Zou, "Optimal Roadside Units Placement in Urban Areas for Vehicular Networks", in 17th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), Turkey, 2012.
- Bilal Rauf, M. Faisal Amjad, Kabeer Ahmed, “Performance evaluation of IEEE 802.11 DCF in comparison with IEEE 802.11e EDCA”, IEEE International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions 2009.
- M. Faisal Amjad, A. Qayyum, U. Farooq, ‘Internet connectivity for Mobile Ad hoc Networks employing the Optimized Link State Routing protocol’ published in Conference proceedings of IEEE SoftCom 2003, Italy, Croatia (7 – 10 Sep, 2003).
2015 – 2018: Department of Information Security, Joint appointment with Electrical Engineering, National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan
Graduate courses Taught
Malware Analysis and Reverse Engineering
Advanced Computer Networks
Instructor in MCS - Cisco Networking Academy.
Supervised 12 Masters’ Theses
2014: Instructor of Record at EECS Department, University of Central Florida, USA
COP-3223H Introduction to Programming with C (honours)
2006 - 2010: Lecturer at Department of Software Engineering, NUST
Undergraduate Courses Taught
Data Structures and Algorithms
Object Oriented Programming
Fundamentals of Programming
Supervised Undergraduate Capstone Projects
2006 - 2010: Campus Data Center Manager at NUST
Managed Campus Intranet and Data center
Responsible for Designing, deployment and maintenance of campus Intranet and Information and Management system
1993–2018: Communication Officer at Pakistan Army Corps of Signals
Deployment, Operation and maintenance of Computer Network in various cities/Rawalpindi, Kotli (AJK), and Quetta city
Conducting Training courses for staff
Management and Administrative activities