The Biomedical Signal and Systems (BSS) research group at Department of Electrical Engineering, NUST College of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering focuses on research activities related to design, analysis, simulation and implementation of Biomedical systems and devices. The areas of interest are, but not limited to: study, acquisition, analysis, processing and display of Biomedical signals (EEG, ECG, Ultrasound, XRay, MRI etc); study, design and implementation of Biomedical systems or devices; Biomedical image processing; and in general any application of engineering for medical science. Over the years, expertise in these areas has been developed through conducting multiple undergraduate projects, postgraduate research theses, and department projects in collaboration with medical institutions.
|Prof. Dr. Syed M. Tahir Zaidi
||Biomedical Engineering, Nanotechnology, Solid state electronics, Thin film processing
|Prof. Dr. Shahzad Amin Sheikh
||Digital Signal Processing, Communication Systems
|Asst Prof. Kamran Aziz Bhatti
|Engr. Nauman Razzaq
||Noise removal ECG
|Engr. Naila Ishfaq
||Heart rate variability
|Engr. Mudassir Hussain
Publications: (Journal Papers)
1. Nauman Razzaq, Shafa-At Ali Sheikh, Muhammad Salman, Tahir Zaidi, “An Intelligent Adaptive Filter for Elimination of Power Line Interference from High Resolution Electrocardiogram”, IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 2016.
2. SA Sheikh, AZ Majoka, KU Rehman, N Razzaq, T Zaidi, “Nonparametric Spectral Estimation Technique to Estimate Dominant Frequency for Atrial Fibrillation Detection”, Journal of Signal and Information Processing 6 (4), 2015.
3. M Umer, BA Bhatti, MH Tariq, M Zia-ul-Hassan, MY Khan, T Zaidi, “Electrocardiogram Feature Extraction and Pattern Recognition Using a Novel Windowing Algorithm”, Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology 5 (11), 2014.
Publications: (Conference Papers)
1. Syed Hassan Zaidi, Imran Akhtar, Syed Imran Majeed, Tahir Zaidi, Muhammad Saif Ullah Khalid, “Nonlinear Characterization of Heart Rate Variability in Normal Sinus Rhythm, Atrial Fibrillation and Congestive Heart Failure”, ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2016
2. Usama Bin Perwez, Imran Aziz, Imran Akhtar, Tahir Zaidi, “Thermal Modeling and Design Analysis of a Hybrid Microdevice for Continuous-Flow PCR Using One Heater”, ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2016.
3. Shafa-at Ali Sheikh, Nauman Razzaq, Tahir Zaidi, “Baseline wander removal from ECG signal using State Space Recursive Least Squares (SSRLS) adaptive filter”, 2016 2nd International Conference on Robotics and Artificial Intelligence (ICRAI).
4. Syed Hassan Zaidi, Shafa-at Ali Sheikh, Imran Akhtar, Tahir Zaidi, “Differentiation between atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter using 1d Poincare maps based on endocardial bipolar intracardiac electrograms extracted from the right atria”, 2016 13th International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (IBCAST).
5. A Ahmed, H Khurshid, MM Riaz, A Ghafoor, T Zaidi, “Regional Image Fusion with Genetic Algorithm Optimization”, 2015 9th Asia Modelling Symposium (AMS).
6. W Nafees, B Riaz, N Razzaq, W Iftikhar, T Zaidi, “Classification of Atrio-Ventricular Reentrant Tachycardia using intracardiac signals”, 2013 IEEE 13th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (BIBE).
7. N Razzaq, M Butt, M Salman, R Ali, I Sadiq, K Munawar, T Zaidi, “An intelligent adaptive filter for fast tracking and elimination of power line interference from ECG signal”, 2013 IEEE 26th International Conference on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS).
• Armed Forces Institute of Cardiology (AFIC)
|Engr. Nayab Asif
|Engr. Rabia Jamshaid
|Engr. Asra Ashraf
|Engr. Javeria Habib
||Noise removal from ECG|
Prof. Dr. Syed M. Tahir Zaidi,
Head, BSS Research Group,