Dr. Zahid Mehmood
Aerospace Engineering Department
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
College of Aeronautical Engineering, PAF Academy, Risalpur
MEMS Sensors Design, Modeling, Analysis, Fabrication, Characterization and Optimization, Material Selection and Optimization, Composite Materials, Structural Modeling and Analysis, Structural Health Monitoring
PhD (Material and Design Optimization of Micro-Sensors) Air University, Islamabad M.S. in Solid Mechanics,Air University, Islamabad,Bachelor of Engineer, NUST Islamabad
Mehmood is serving as Assistant Professor of Aerodynamics at the Department of
Aerospace Engineering, CAE, NUST. He received his B.Engg. from NUST in
2003. He then worked as a Technical Manager in Aviation industry for six years
before undertaking MS (Solid Mechanics) studies at Air University, Islamabad,
Pakistan from 2009 to 2011. He also served as Lecturer at NUST from 2011-2014. Currently
he is pursuing a PhD focusing at “Design
and Materials Optimisation for MEMS sensors” at Air University, Islamabad with
a Visiting Researcher position at University of Cambridge, UK under the
Knowledge Economy Partnership grant provided jointly by British. Since 2014, he
has been involved in the research of MEMS sensors, with an emphasis on design
and material aspects of the three types of key MEMS sensors i.e. Pressure,
Temperature and Wall Shear Stress / Velocity / Flow, required to measure the
three key fluidic parameters in Aerospace / Mechanical industry in
collaboration with National Instruments, Arabia and Light Bridge Communication,
IMPACT FACTOR JOURNALS
- M. N. Ahmed and Z. Mehmood, “Constrained torsional analysis of multi-cell composite tapered beams”, Composites Part B: Engineering, Volume 43, 2012, pp 1341–1345. (2012 Impact Factor: 4.920)
- A. M. Khan, A. A. Khan, Z. Mehmood and R. Riaz, “Acceleration by converging nozzles for power generation in existing canal system”, Renewable Energy, Volume 60, 2013, pp 548-552. 2012 (Impact Factor: 4.90)
- M. N. Ahmed and Z. Mehmood, “Optimization of muticell composite beams under constrained torsion”, Composites Part B: Engineering, Volume 56, 2014, pp 900-905. 2012 (Impact Factor: 4.920)
- Z. Mehmood, I. Haneef, and F. Udrea, “Material Selection for Microelectromechanical Systems Using Ashby Approach,” Materials & Design, 2018 Volume 157, Pages 412-430, (Impact Factor: 4.36).
- Z. Mehmood, M. Mansoor, I. Haneef, S.Z. Ali and F. Udrea, “Evaluation of thin film p-type single crystal silicon for use as a CMOS Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD),” Sensors and Actuators A : Physical, 2018 Volume 283, Pages 159 - 168, (Impact Factor: 2.311)
NON IMPACT FACTOR JOURNALS
- A. A. Khan, N. S. Khan and Z. Mehmood, “Evaluation of saw tooth features on flutter characteristics”, International Journal of Aerospace and Light Weight Structures 4 (1), 51 – 63.
- A. A. Khan and Z. Mehmood, “Evaluation of wind energy potential alongside motorways: a case of Pakistan, Asian Journal of Applied Science and Engineering 3 (9), 7 – 13.
- A.M. Khan, Zahid M., Ali Sarosh, Abid A. Khan “Modal Analysis of Thin Walled Multi-cell Composite Doubly Tapered Beams of Closed Cross Sections” Frontiers in Aerospace Engineering 2 (4), 235-241.
- M. M. Tariq, Z. Mehmood, M. Mansoor, M. N. Ahmed and M. Pasha (2011), “Development of parametric model and warping analysis of composite beam with multiple rigid regions”, Advanced Materials Research, Volume 326, 2011, pp 29-36.
- M. N. Ahmed and M. Zahid, “Failure analysis of multicell composite beams under constrained torsion”, Composites: Mechanics, Computations, Applications, An International Journal, Volume 3, Issue 1, 2012, pp 51–61.
- A.A. Khan, S. Zafar, N. S. Khan, Z. Mehmood” History, Current Status and Challenges to Structural Health Monitoring System in Aviation Field”, Journal of Space technology Vol-4, No-1, July 2014.
- R.M. Owais, M.S. Khan, Z.G Khawaja, M. Mansoor, & Z. Mehmood. Optimization of SOI CMOS MEMS piezo resistive pressure sensor. in 13th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies (ICET), 1-6, 2017.
- M. M. Tariq, M. Pasha, M. N. Ahmed and Zahid Mehmood’, “Modal Analysis & Material Selection of Multicell Beam with Composite Materials”, Proceedings of the IBCAST-2012, Islamabad, Pakistan
- F. Ahmed, A. Aizaz, Z. Mehmood. “Mechanical Design to Adapt Changes to Existing Universal Test Bed Facility of Turbojet Engine for the Turbofan Engine” in International Conference on Intelligent Materials, Power and Energy (AIMPE14), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 17-18 2014.
- F. Ahmed, A. Aizaz, Z. Mehmood. “Feasibility study to adapt changes to existing universal test bed facility of turbojet engine for the turbofan engine” in First International Young Engineers Convention (IYEC-2014) held at UET Lahore on 18-19 April 2014
Taught undergraduate courses: (1)
Mechanics of Materials, (2) Engineering Statics, (3) Computer Aided Drawing, (4) Thin
Walled Structures courses and (5) Fluid Mechanics. Also supervised the final
year projects for undergraduate (BE) students
Aerospace Maintenance Engineer
- 2007-09: Organisational level maintenance (first line)
- 2003-07: Second line maintenance (2003-2007)