Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Chishti
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
School of Natural Sciences, H-12 Islamabad
English Linguistics/Applied Linguistics
PhD, English Linguistics (NUML, Pakistan)
- NUML Islamabad (2015)
PhD in English Linguistics,
- Masters in English, Bahauddin Zakariya University (BZU), Multan (2003)
- GEC (Guidance and Evaluation Committee) Member at NUML Islamabad, International Islamic University Islamabad, Air University Islamabad, Foundation University Islamabad, Riphah International University Faisalabad, SBK Women University Quetta, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan.
- Acted as a ‘Judge’ for consecutive four years at All Pakistan Allama Iqbal Bilingual Declamation conducted by HEC
- Acted as a 'Judge' at N2DC (NUST National Declamation Championship 2016)
- Has the honour of acting as a ‘Judge’ in various inter-university Na’at & Debate Competitions
- Has the honour of being selected in top 10 out of 3500 Contestants in a Reality Show ‘Anchor#1’ at Waqt TV which aimed at hunting for Anchor#1 among Pakistani Youth
- An Article “An Insight into Sufi Beliefs” published in “The NUSTIAN”, Literary Magazine of NUST in 2012
- Conducted National Seerat Conference at NUST twice as Master of the Ceremony
- Under his mentorship as a Faculty Sponsor NUST Dramatics Club, NDC brought laurels to NUST by winning NUML Drama Festival 2017 and remaining runners-up at GIKI All-Pakistan Performing Arts Competition 2017.
- Topped in Husn-e-Na’at contests for consecutive four years in Punjab Boys Scouts Association
- Topped in Debates for consecutive four years in Punjab Boys Scouts Association
- Topped in Speech Contest in Pakistan Navy, COMKAR Command
- Ex-Editor “NUSTXTRA”-Co-curricular Activities Supplement of National University of Sciences & Technology
- An article “Excuse Me!” published in “The Literary Horizon”, a literary journal of BZU, D. G. Khan campus in 2003.
- Was selected as Parade Commander in Z-Batch Passing-out Parade (Pak Navy)
- Certificate of Commendable Performance for Phenomenal Organization of Annual ECA as Programme Coordinator from HITEC Taxila Cantt.
- Coordinated a mega programme on the former President of Pakistan Gen. Pervez Musharraf’s visit to HITEC, Taxila Cantt.
- Coordinated a mega event on Mrs.Former Chief of Army Staff General Ishfaq Pervez Kiyani’s visit to HITEC
- Wrote and directed a comical stage drama ‘Saraiki Language Course’ that was presented on Mrs. Former Chairman Joint Chief of Staff’s visit to HITEC, Taxila Cantt.
- Directed & staged Shakespearean Tragedy ‘Julius Caesar’ that was presented on Mrs. Former Chairman Joint Chief of Staff’s visit to HITEC, Taxila Cantt
- Applied Linguistics
- Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA)
Supervised MS(English Linguistics) student theses:
- Atta-ur-Rehman (Foundation University Islamabad)
- Tahir Afzal (Foundation University Islamabad)
- Maryam Tariq (Foundation University Islamabad)
- Sadia Mueen (Foundation University Islamabad)
||M. I. Chishti, and S. A. Qadir, “Tracing “Local” Cultural and Ideological Dimensions in Schimmel’s Pain and Grace: A Critical Discourse Analysis”. Kashmir Journal of Language Research. Volume 18 (1). pp 75-91(2015).(Categorized as a Y-Category Journal by HEC)|
||M. I. Chishti, M. Aslam and A. Qadeer, “Subjective Stance, Embedded Ideological Clues and Social Representations in Schimmel’s Interpretations: A Critical Discourse Enquiry”. Bulletin of Education and Research. Vol.38 (||) pp 265-280 (2016). (Categorized as a Y-Category Journal by HEC)|
||M. I. Chishti and M. Aslam, “Marked Cultural Cues, Folk Traditions and Social Representations Embedded within Schimmel’s As through a Veil”. NUML Journal of Critical Inquiry. Vol. 14 (||) pp 55-69 (2016). (Categorized as a Y-Category Journal by HEC)|
||A. Qadeer, W. Shehzad and M. I. Chishti, "Print Media Practices in the Representation of Political Discourse in Pakistan". NUML Journal of Critical Inquiry. Vol. 15 (II). pp. 186-201 (2017) (Categorized as a Y-Category Journal by HEC)|
|| A. Qadeer, A. Tahir and M. I. Chishti, "Beginning Teachers’ Professional Self-Image: Reconciliation between Teachers and Head Teachers”. Journal of Educational Research. Vol. 21 (1). pp 12-24 (2018) (Categorized as a Y-Category Journal by HEC)|
Courses taught at NUST:
- Technical Writing
- Technical & Business Writing
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Professional Ethics
MS English Linguistics (teaching Evening Programme at Foundation University)
- Language, Power and Identity
Teaching, Research & Work Experience:
- Assistant Professor (Sep 2015-Present), School of Natural Sciences, National University of Sciences and Technology
- Visiting Faculty, (Sep 2016-Jan 2017) (Feb 2017-Jun 2017), Foundation University, Islamabad
- Assistant Director Publication & Communication (Jan 2012-Sep 2015), National University of Sciences and Technology
- Lecturer (Feb 2011- Jan 2012), Riphah International University, Islamabad
- Lecturer (Sep 2006-Feb 2011), HITEC, Taxila Cantt.
- Teacher English O’ levels (Mar 2005-Feb 2006, Feb 2004-Oct 2004), Bloomfield Hall School, D. G. Khan
- Lecturer English & Coordinator (Oct 2004- Mar 2005), D. P. S. & College, D. G. Khan
- Visiting Faculty, International Islamic University, Islamabad
- Visiting Faculty, (Nov 2010-Apr 2011), University of Engineering & Technology, Taxila