Dr. Faroha Liaqat
Department of Chemistry
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
School of Natural Sciences, H-12 Islamabad
Physical Chemistry, Materials Chemistry, Solid state Chemistry/Physics, Nano-materials, Biomimetics, Computation/simulation, Biomedical engineering, Nano and Microfabrication
PhD Chemistry (Johannes Gutenberg University - Mainz, Germany)-PhD Chemistry (Seoul National University, South Korea)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Glasgow, UK (2015 – 2016)
- Research Associate, Johannes Gutenberg University-Mainz, Germany (2014)
- PhD (Chemistry), Johannes Gutenberg University–Mainz, Germany (2010 – 2014)
- Dual PhD (Chemistry), Seoul National University, South Korea (2014)
- M.Phil (Chemistry), Quaid–i-Azam University, Pakistan (2008)
- M.Sc (Chemistry), Quaid–i-Azam University, Pakistan (2006)
Honors and Awards:
- Young Researcher representing Pakistan in the 59th Nobel Laureates Conference in Chemistry, Lindau, Germany (2009).
- Fellowship from “International Research Training Group for Optoelectronics”, (2011-2014).
- Fellowship from “International Max Planck Research School”, IMPRS and Graduate School of Excellence, MAINZ (2010-2011).
- Awarded “Magna cum Laude” (very good) grade in PhD Chemistry (2014).
- Gold Medal for securing 1st position in M.Phil Chemistry (2008).
- Gold Medal for securing 1st position in M.Sc Chemistry (2006).
- Roll of honor, BSc Chemistry, Punjab University, Pakistan (2003).
- Science communication: One of the three participants in a documentary on climate change, “The two degree target” by the prestigious science journal “Nature” and iTv, UK”.
- UV-Vis, FTIR, Raman, Mossbauer, Brillouin Light Scattering, XRD, SEM, Confocal, TEM, EDX, AFM, Optical, Nanoindentation; Profilometer; Ellipsometry; Electrical Resistivity Measurements, TGA, DSC, Signal generators, Amplifier, Oscilloscope, Network analyzer, Vibrometer
- Photolithography, Etching, Metal deposition, Device fabrication, CAD, COMSOL Multiphysics, DISPERSE, L-Edit, Corel Draw, HyperChem, ChemDraw, Image J, Cinema 4D
- Quantum mechanical softwares (Eul-ode, Sys-Eul, HMO, GW-Basic)
- Language skills: English IELTS (8.5 band),TOEFL (114/120), German (B2 level)
- Phononic and photonic crystals
- Functional Nanomaterials
- Synthesis and characterization of metal oxide nanoparticles and polymer –inorganic nanocomposites.
- Multilayers, layer-by-layer assemblies, thin films.
- Computer simulations and computer aided design
- Nano and Micro-fabrication of lab-on-chip devices
- Digital microfluidics
- Synthesis and characterization of doped Y-type ferrite nanomaterials.
- Electrochemical anodization of valve metals to synthesize porous membranes
||“Engineering the Hypersonic Phononic Band Gap of Hybrid Bragg-Stacks”, D. Schneider, F. Liaqat, et al. Nano Lett. 2012, 12, 3101(IF = 13.77)|
||“Ultrastrong composites from Dopamine Modified-Polymer-Infiltrated Colloidal Crystals”, F. Liaqat et al. Mater. Horiz. 2015, 2, 434-441(IF = 9.095)|
||“High-Performance TiO2 Nanoparticle/DOPA- Polymer Composites”, F. Liaqat, et.al, Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2015, 36, 1129-1137 (IF = 4.608)|
||“Defect-Controlled Hypersound Propagation in Hybrid Superlattices”, D. Schneider, F. Liaqat, et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. 2013, 111, 164301(IF = 7.645)|
||“Physical and Electrical Properties of Nanosized Mn- and Cr-Doped Strontium Y-Type Hexagonal Ferrites”, M.J. Iqbal and F. Liaqat, J. Am. Ceram.Soc, 2010, 93, 474(IF = 2.787)|
||“Collective Behavior in Assemblies of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Imbedded in a Sticky Polymer Matrix Observed by Mössbauer Spectroscopy”, F. Liaqat, et al. In progress. |
||“Control of droplet motion using acoustically activated resonant cavities”, F. Liaqat, et al., In progress|
||D. Schneider, F. Liaqat, et al. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 2011, 130, 2402(IF = 1.572)|
||Summer school on “Optoelectronics”, Cambridge, UK (08/2011).|
||Meeting of American Physics Society (APS), Boston, USA (02/2012).|
||24th International Liquid Crystal Conference (ILCC), Mainz, Germany (08/2012).|
||Korea - Japan workshop, Seoul, South Korea (11/ 2012).|
||Oral presentation at IUPAC World Chemistry Congress, Istanbul, Turkey (08/2013) titled “Creating and Exploring Barriers: Phononic Band Gap in One-dimensional Periodic Bragg Stacks in Hypersonic region”.|
||Oral presentation, “A Bioinspired Strategy to Fabricate Bragg Stacks as Hard and Adhesive Coatings” at IUPAC World Chemistry Congress, Istanbul, Turkey (08/2013)|
||Poster at 8th German-Korean Polymer Workshop, Hamburg, Germany (08/ 2013).|
||Research Staff Conference, University of Glasgow, UK (03/2016)|
||8th International and 20th National Chemistry Conference, Quaid-i-Azam University, Pakistan (01/2010).|
||Oral presentation in National Seminar on “Policies & Strategies for Successful Implementation of Employment Generating Programs in Renewable Energies, Biotechnology, Agriculture, Environment and ICTs”, Pakistan (08/2009). |
||National Meeting on “Challenges for Socio-Economic Development in Pakistan and the Role of Science & Technology”, Pakistan (10/2009).|